Friday, March 22, 2013

Anniversary #2

Two years ago today, I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma.

What to say, as I reflect on these past two years?  To say 'life has changed' seems trivial.  Of course life has changed and I've written extensively about that.  But where am I today, two years later?

Location-wise, I am sitting in the waiting room at the oncologist, awaiting my monthly labs.  Now what were the chances that I should find myself here on the anniversary??  An odd coincidence, I would say.

Physically, I continue to regain my strength.  I still have annoyances sometimes with my feet, my hands, my jaw, but they honestly are not severe enough for me to complain, though sometimes I do.  I wish I felt confident enough in my abilities to say that I have been hiking all winter, but maybe next winter.

Cognitively and emotionally, I continue to make strides, too.  I feel less 'fogged in,' though I am occasionally surprised by just how thick the fog can be at times. A few examples:  last week I traveled to the Joslin in Boston for my diabetes check-up.  Before leaving, Joe reminded me of his taking me there a year ago for a check up.  On the one hand, it is such a wonderful thing to be able to now drive myself to my appointments.  At this time last year, I wasn't driving very far.  On the other hand, I have absolutely no recollection of last year's appointment.  No matter how hard I try to remember it, it's not there.

Similarly, a few days ago a friend was telling me about a facial she just had.  She was enthusiastic about it and asked me, "do you go for facials?"  Hmmm.  Do I go for facials?  I felt like a deer in headlights.  Do I go for facials?  Well, do I?  I have no idea how I responded but I thought about that question for days...because I had no answer, no recollection.  Surely I haven't had a facial since my diagnosis, but before that?  I think I did occasionally.  That's the best I recall.  Anyone out there know the answer??

It's those silly little things that always snap me back to the reality of what I experienced in 2 years.  It's also those things that remind me of my on-going recovery.  I tend to think of myself as strong and healthy.  I certainly feel that way the majority of the time and I think most people view me that way.  No one would look at me and think I have cancer or diabetes or any illness at all.  I see myself as having a strong will, a great ability to overcome obstacles, and a mostly positive outlook.  But I am still recovering.  I need to embrace that with a little more acceptance and awareness.

It's a balance, though, isn't it?  My Joslin dr. noted that I need more balance in my diabetes care and in my life.  No kidding...I've been working forever on living in balance! I recognize that I can approach certain things full steam ahead and like a bull in a china closet.  That's not always a bad thing.  It truly is what pulled me through many days over the past 2 years.  But mindfulness and intention can be fleeting experiences in my daily living.  I hope to change this moving forward and I think I can.  I feel like a new and different person.

Well, my labs are back.  Low WBC and ANC.  No surprises there, though they are low enough that I will exercise extra caution over the next few days.

And now this new and different person is heading to the beach.  Nothing like a walk on the beach to clear one's head and help lift the fog.

1 comment:

  1. Love how you so accurately describe life with MM...sometimes foggy, sometimes clear, sometimes painful, sometimes not so much, sometimes full of energy, and sometimes exhausting. Thankful you are two years down the road from diagnosis and still making strides. I have no doubt you will be hiking next winter! I appreciate your spirit, your honesty, and the way you encourage others. How was the beach?

    ReplyDelete