Sunday, January 27, 2013

I'm embarrassed

Yes, I am embarrassed.  It's been 2 months since my last entry and I have....wait a minute!  This is starting to sound like I'm in a confessional at church!!

Seriously, though, it has been a long time since I've written and I have no good excuse except that life has gotten busy.  Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, followed by a family vacation in Hawaii (our 'foreign exchange son' Ondra joining us all the way from Vienna, Austria), and here I am today, in front of my computer, writing away at long last.  Where to start?

I guess first on the list is my health.  It is good :-)  My labs continue to show a strong remission.  My white blood cells are lagging a little, but that seems to be my holding pattern.  The same with my ANC.  But the red blood cells and my platelets (finally!) are normal, normal, normal!  I am continuing with acupuncture and finding relief in it.  I have a little foot pain, not directly from the Revlimid (but surely indirectly) but from the flip-flops I wore in the summer and recently in Hawaii.  I recall thinking those sandals were the cause of my foot troubles in the summer and I confirmed that in Hawaii.  Needless to say, I tossed them when I got home but I think I'll be off to see the podiatrist soon.

Hmmm...this is sounding a bit boring.  Is that what happens when one feels healthy again??  No more talk about trips to the hospital and that pocketbook that saved me so many times; no more talk about a tingly face; no more talk about transfusions.  Was that all really a part of my life?  Some days it is hard to believe, though there are times when I realize how much life I missed.  We have our annual Super Bowl party coming up next Sunday and I was reminded that we didn't host it last year because I was just 4 months post-stem cell transplant.  I had forgotten about not having the party.

More often I am recalling the 'year that I missed.'  Or perhaps it should be 'the year that I've forgotten.'  Or 'the year that happened while I was otherwise occupied.'  In some ways, it doesn't matter because I am here today - healthy, active (albeit slower than ever), and in remission.  I am committed to doing whatever I can with the MMRF to find a cure for multiple myeloma.  (Team Multiple Miracles, are you getting ready for September??)  But I can no longer spend my days wondering about 'the year that I missed' - I missed a year due to illness and I don't want to miss anymore time fretting about that year.

Last day in Hawaii - a farewell hula with the statue!

No comments:

Post a Comment