Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Acupuncture

One of the effects of chemo last spring was being catapulted into menopause. I haven't thought much about it until recently when the hot flashes have intensified. They have been so severe that I've very often been unable to sleep. The hot flashes keep me from sleep, the lack of sleep interferes with my recovery, causes increased neuropathy in my hands and feet, and leads me to over eat during the day to keep up the energy in my tired body, and the increased eating helps to fuel the fire that supports the hot flashes - quite a cycle, huh? I tried Ativan and Ambien as sleep aids. Both worked well keeping me asleep and both worked well keeping me in a daze the following day. I tried HRT for one month. Hot flashes were gone in a week, but do I really want to worry about the possibility of another cancer? Not really. So on to the next option: acupuncture.

Today was my first session. After much conversation, Dr.Li at Dana Farber suggested one treatment each week for the next 2 months. So I'll be traveling to Boston over the summer. It's a nice time of year to be in Boston!

For my first session, I felt very relaxed. In all, 16 teeny tiny acupuncture needles were placed on my ankles, calves, wrists, forearms, neck, ears and scalp. I felt only one. I rested for 30 minutes, during which time I was chilly but relaxed. I feel relaxed tonight, too. I'm not sure if it was the acupuncture or if it is tiredness catching up, but I think I'll sleep tonight.

More on my acupuncture adventures in the weeks to come!

1 comment:

  1. Sure hope it works for you Susan. And yes, Boston is nice in the summer. We took a family vacation there and loved it! Sounds like you have really explored your options...hopefully acupuncture does the trick!

    ReplyDelete