Monday, October 29, 2012

The "S" word

Actually, the "S" words!  Here we go:

S is for skeletal survey.  A skeletal survey is a series of x-rays from the head to the ankles. Images are taken of the skull, spine, ribs, arms, hips, and legs - just about every bone except for those in the hands and feet.  The skeletal survey is taken because myeloma can cause lesions - holes - in the skull and bones.  My second skeletal survey results have come in and they're the same as the first survey - no holes :-) I am so fortunate.  Often myeloma presents itself through bone pain and the bone pain is what can lead to the myeloma diagnosis.  While I've had sore feet and sore hands, I've never had bone pain.  So fortunate!

It goes downhill from here....

S is for the snatched scarf.  The MMRF Gala and auction was this past Saturday.  While we did not attend the Gala, I decided to bid on a few items.  I was outbid on all but the linen and cotton scarf....or so it seemed.  Even though my name was listed as the winner, apparently I didn't win.  A previous high bidder snatched it away from me and won.  Hmmmm.  Not quite sure how that worked, but I do know the scarf isn't mine :-(  Now that was disappointing!  Anyway, the baseball.  I bid on an autographed baseball for Sarah.  Who knew a baseball autographed by Dustin Pedroia would sell for $560???  Not me!  Glad I stopped bidding a lot earlier than that high bid.  And did you have a chance to check out the other items?  The tickets to the Grammy Awards went for $27,000! And the trip to Jamaica to stay in Ian Fleming's home went for $22,000!  Wow!!  With bids like that, I can see how the MMRF raises $2 million at the Gala!  All good funding for research.  I look forward to seeing the photos from the evening.  I'm sure the MMRF website will have the photos soon.

S is for shake.  As in my morning green shake.  Well, you all know how enthralled I have been with my VitaMix blender and how I have experimented with making green shakes.  Some have been delicious, others have been not so delicious.  Actually, some have been not drinkable.  I've finally found a recipe that I like - frozen banana, apple, and spinach as the main ingredients.  Last week, I was telling a colleague about the ingredients in my healthy shake.  She commented, "sounds like a lot of calories." Really?  I decided I would figure out the caloric intake of my breakfast.  Here is what I discovered:

1 medium banana          110 calories
1 medium apple               80
1 cup spinach                    7
1 serving tofu                120
(this is starting to not look good)
2 T protein powder        120
2 T flax seeds                  80
(now I'm scared!)
1 T twin omega oil         120
1 t. fish oil                        45

S is for shake shock!  That's 682 calories!!!  Just for breakfast!!  Who knew???  No wonder I am gaining weight!!  I had no idea.  I was thinking maybe 400 calories.  And to be honest, my early morning measuring skills can be a bit less than accurate and I don't mean on the low side.  Oh my gosh!  One fried egg with one strip of bacon (seriously - who can eat just one strip of bacon?) is only 136 calories!  Not as healthy as my super green shake, of course, but 500 fewer calories.  (and I do so love eggs and bacon)  Sheesh!  Obviously I need a new plan.  Any and all suggestions welcome!

And last but not least...

S is for Sandy.  The hurricane is just about here.  It's raining, it's windy.  It's not much more than a rain storm right now, but the meteorologists are calling for winds of over 60mph, heavy rain, and flooding.  I kind of like a good storm, but I hope we are not without power for....well, I hope we are not without power (but actually I don't mind that so much, at least for a short time, but my family feels quite differently).

But now that I think of it, if we are without electricity, I won't be able to power up the VitaMix. The gas stove, however, is ready and waiting to cook up some eggs and bacon :-)  There is always a bright side, isn't there?  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment