Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Eight weeks ago today

Eight weeks ago today, my stem cells were re-infused in me. Eight weeks ago! In some ways, it feels like yesterday and in other ways it feels a lifetime ago. One thing is certain - a stem cell transplant is not for the faint of heart. It was much more challenging than I understood it would be and I know that I am just starting to remember the 3 weeks in the hospital and the first 2 weeks at home. I don't remember much. I have little memory of visitors, conversations, or nurses (apparently I made 2 bracelets and gave them to the nurses who cared for me - no memory of that). I do remember some of the pain and I remember how tired I was and I remember walking around the unit, trying to get some exercise. I'm told while in the hospital I said to my sister Cindy that I had been watching cooking shows and had written down Thanksgiving recipes. If I had written down recipes, they are nowhere to be found!

And today, 8 weeks later, I went to an appointment with my NH oncologist. He was surprised to see how well I am doing. I told him I was out and about by myself, walking 15 - 20 miles a week, and working from home. He told me that some people are still in bed at week 8! I think I would never make being in bed for 8 weeks without totally losing my mind!

Now granted, I still get tired, my walking is not always aerobic, and I am only working 10 or so hours per week. I still suffer from indigestion, sleeping through the night is not happening, and my taste buds haven't fully returned. I still have a long road to recovery. I am mindful that I am only 8 weeks beyond the major trauma my body experienced.

However, how blessed I am! Really. To be as well as I am today, it is quite amazing to me, particularly after seeing my dr's surprise today. My prayers and your prayers continue to be answered. Yes, I am blessed.

Oh, and my test results from my CBC were mostly normal. There were 2 slightly low counts, but nothing to cause worry. Other tests results, more indicative of myeloma, will be ready at the end of the week. More on that when I have the results.

Tomorrow I make my way to my office at work. I'll stay there for a couple of hours. I know I'll be tired just getting ready and driving there, but it will feel good to be there. And I'll be without a scarf :-)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Susan...congratulations! I really can't believe 8 weeks have passed already and you have done so well! This makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete