Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy July!

I can hardly believe it's been about a month since my last blog!  Where has the time gone??  I apologize for being so neglectful and I hope to be less so in the future.

Anyway....I've had several acupuncture sessions now and I am happy to report that my energy is high, my sleeping is improved, and my hot flashes are less frequent and less intense than they had been. All that and I continue to remain myeloma-free on my maintenance dose of Revlimid :-)  I am one happy camper!

On the nutrition front:  I've eliminated the yogurt and added tofu to my morning shakes.  I haven't had the courage to try tofu in any other way, despite the tofu cookbook I purchased (that is still sitting on my coffee table, unopened) (but the cover of the cookbook is so attractive!), but it is masked in my shakes and helps to keep my blood sugar stabilized throughout the morning.

Speaking of shakes, I've been experimenting.  For Mother's Day, my family bought me a Breville juicer.  It was a pretty big machine in my kitchen.  Notice the was.  It lasted a few weeks but it really wasn't what I wanted.  It made delicious juice but so much of the pulp was expelled during the juicing that it took an awful lot of veggies and fruit to make a small cup of juice.  Thankfully, Williams-Sonoma has a generous return policy, so back it went.  Sitting now on my counter, awaiting its first spin, is a Vitamix machine.  It is much smaller than the juicer and looks more like a big blender.  If anyone watches the Food Network show Chopped, it's the blender the chefs use.  Joe set it up for me today.  I'm a little intimidated by it (it came with a Getting Started dvd!), as I was with the juicer, but I think it's more of what I want.  I've been using my 30+ year old blender every morning and every morning it's a process to get one little shake.  So much starting and stopping and pushing everything down to the bottom, and then starting the process over again...and again.  This shouldn't be the case with the Vitamix.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

And honestly, a shake with fruit and veggies is really quite delicious!  Now don't try to confirm that with my family - their opinions differ :-)

Wishing you a happy 4th of July celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment