Friday, October 21, 2011

The results are in...kind of

I received a call from the nurse at my NH oncologist.  She said all of my tests were back and everything is normal.  I should be doing the dance of joy, shouldn't I?  Instead, I'm holding back on the dance...at least until I see the lab results myself.  You see, I asked the nurse a few questions, specifically about my M-spike, a myeloma marker.  The nurse told me she didn't see anything marked M-spike.  Then I asked about my protein level.  She said '6.something, all normal.'  This is not the protein level I was asking about; if it were and those results were accurate, I would extremely unhappy.  So I'll get back to my oncologist and get the results in my hand and then I'll be happy.

However, my primary care physician, who has been truly amazing - she calls every month to check in - called today and said my recovery has been 'phenomenal!'  And I believe it has.  I'm doing so much and I almost feel like my old self.  Still, I need to be mindful of my activity.  I worked out of the house 3 days this week and now I am very, very tired.  Clearly, too much too soon.  Lesson learned.  But maybe I'll do a little dance of joy tonight anyway :-)

This Sunday I am off to Kripalu for a weeklong retreat for women with cancer.  I will be there Sunday through Friday.  I've never been to Kripalu for more than a few days, so this will be a new experience for me.  I'm looking forward to connecting with other women, practicing yoga, and learning some strategies for when I feel anxious about having cancer.  I'm also looking forward to being back in the Berkshires.  The foliage should be spectacular! Full report when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment