Friday, December 16, 2011

'Tis the season...

...for gathering with friends and family, searching for the perfect Christmas tree, decorating, shopping....and getting colds. Yes, I have my first cold of the season, the first since my transplant. To be honest, I can't really tell if it is a cold or if my maintenance dose of Revlimid is just kicking in. I feel tired and have a stuffy head and can't seem to shake myself into the holiday spirit. Maybe it's because there is no snow and the weather is very mild for December in NH. Whatever the reason, I'm here at the oncologist for a visit and my first infusion of Zometa, a bone strengthening drug.

Overall, I have felt well. I've felt strong and healthy. It's been a bit hectic, though. Thanksgiving was a wonderful time for me, but it took me several days to recover. It was the busiest I've been since my transplant. Still, I was so glad to celebrate the holiday at home as is tradition. It was one more sign that I am returning to good health and a good reminder that I need to continue to be mindful that I still am in recovery mode. It led me to cancel my annual Christmas cookie bake-a-thon that I've held the past few years with family and friends. It's disappointing, but we'll resume next year!

I am 16 days into my 21 day cycle of Revlimid, the pill that I take daily to keep my multiple myeloma at bay. I am on less than half the dose I was taking during the spring. One thing I can count on with Revlimid is a tingly face. Remember that??? Doesn't seem to matter how low the dose is, my face is tingly.

I wrote the above 3 days ago, meaning to get back to it.  I didn't think it would take me this long!  But since then...

....the Dr. stopped my Revlimid and will start me again after Christmas - too much of a tingly face is not a good thing
....I had a bit of a response to the Zometa - some body aches and a sore jawbone (Zometa, for some reason, is not kind to the jaw)
....I was home from work the entire week with a cold - the rest has made all the difference and I feel so much better!
....and, last but not least, my lab results were excellent!

I'm glad to be off the Revlimid until the 26th.  The tingly face really was bothersome this week.   Even today I still have some tingles.  I know from my experience on chemo that drugs need to be slowly introduced to my system.  My body just rejects being bombarded with such powerful drugs.  When I start up again, I'll stay on the same dose but for a 14 day cycle.  I hope it makes a positive difference.

Tomorrow I'll be at Dana Farber for the Multiple Myeloma Patient Education Symposium.  It will be a full day with the DF team of doctors, nurses and social workers sharing the latest research on MM.  I plan to come away from it with good understanding of what is needed to keep me healthy and strong for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment