Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Happy days

Well, I think I've finally turned the corner.  I've had 4 consecutive good days and today looks like it will be a good day 5.  I'm sleeping better, eating better, feeling better.  I still have regular bouts of nausea and my energy level sinks after lunch, just in time for a daily nap.  But my spirits are lifted and I feel more hopeful. It has been a rough 2 weeks at home.  I never expected the transition to be so difficult.  Yes, I knew I'd have physical limitations and serious food restrictions, but I hadn't anticipated feeling so poorly - and I really felt poorly.

It was Dr. A who helped with my turning the corner.  Actually, I think he pushed me around the corner!   When I saw him last week, he told me my blood counts were all very good and it was time to start living my life.  He lifted many of the restrictions, but told me not to eat sushi.  That works for me since I don't like sushi!  Armed with his blessing, I thought I was ready to move on.  Not so fast, though.  My head understood it was time, but my body was still full of fear and my focus was still on the nausea, indigestion, fatigue - how could I possibly move on??

Then Saturday arrived.  I checked my email and found a notice that a very good friend had tagged me in a few photos on Facebook.  Hmmm...how could that be?  I haven't seen her in a few months.  I checked out the photos and there she was, wearing an MMRF Race for the Research sweatshirt.   She and 2 family members were participating in the MMRF race in Boston, in my honor. Boy, did I cry!  I cried because I was so touched by her participating in this race for me; I cried because I wanted to be there with her; I cried because I was tired of feeling sick and really needed to turn the corner.

So I took my first step - Joe took me to a garden shop in the afternoon and we walked around, selecting mums, and then we drove around on that lovely fall day.  I felt so good - tired, for sure, but good.  Then on Sunday a friend took me, armed with my pedometer, for a walk at the beach on yet another perfect fall day.  I felt really good at the end of that trip.  And on Monday, I strapped on the pedometer and walked around the neighborhood near my home.  I clocked more steps that I had the previous day!

Also on Monday, I got back to work from my home office.  Though I managed only 2 hours before I crashed, I managed 2 hours.  And I will continue to work daily, even if just for a short time.

Lastly, I registered for a week-long retreat at the Kripalu Center.  The topic: Women Touched by Cancer.  I think it will be a good opportunity to talk with other women who have experienced cancer in their lives and it will provide me with the foundation to move forward with yoga.

When I return to Dana-Farber on Thursday, I think Dr. A will be quite pleased with my personal progress, as he has been with my physical progress :-)

3 comments:

  1. I love the title of your post and am so thankful you are feeling so much better and getting out and about! Good for you and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan- this is the post i've been waiting for....hoping for. I'm so happy to hear that the corner has been turned and you are feeling stronger, mentally and physically. I'm sorry it's been so difficult to get a phone conversation in this week; I've been on the road and in meetings every day. I'm in the office today but you're in Boston. So I'll try you tomorrow (Friday); I'll be in the office after an early meeting, probably around 11:00.

    Keep moving forward, my friend - even if it's a slower than desired pace!

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I hope that you feel better and better each day. Keep up the good fight! I enjoy your blog. BTW - I was just in your neck of the woods for a wedding that took place the Sunday of the hurricane. You live in a beautiful part of the country! Be well! Sean M.

    ReplyDelete