Sunday, May 15, 2011

The effect of no side effects

I think I've mentioned in previous entries and in conversations that I have experienced only minor side effects from my chemo treatments.  Some of what I've experienced includes:

- a tingling sensation in my face
- a tightness, like indigestion, in the center of my chest, from the dexamethasone
- jitteriness, like I've had too much caffeine (this is the dex again)
- a high level of activity (thank you, dex) which leads to...
- insomnia (dex, you're making me cranky) which leads to....
- the need for a sleeping pill to combat the insomnia
- very bright red cheeks the day after treatment (dex, you're making me look like the Campbell Soup girl)
- high blood sugar for 24 hours after treatment (dexxxxxxx!) despite my...
- decreased appetite, which doesn't help my....
- digestive issues

These side effects vary in duration and intensity during the 14 days of treatment and subside during the 7 days of no treatment.  I really do consider them minor - at least there is no nausea! - and they are more annoying than debilitating.

This past week, a week with no treatment, I experienced different side effects:

- a voracious appetite (did I really eat that much?  if my scale could talk, it would say, "yes, dear, you really did" and it might even oink at me)
- feeling like my old healthy self again, which is....
- full of energy, so that I could....
- accomplish the items on my To Do lists (yes,that's a plural - one list is never enough)

With the exception of the out-of-control appetite, I like these side effects much better.  I had a very good week and I truly felt well.  It reminds me, though, of how much I liked and miss the 'old kind of normal' and how this 'new kind of normal' kind of.....well, it takes some getting used to.

Round 3 of treatment starts tomorrow.  See you in 14 days, old kind of normal; greetings again, tingling face.

Best wishes to my niece Maddie who will be participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment