Friday, May 20, 2011

Scorpacciata

I love to cook and I love to eat good food that I've cooked. There is just no denying it. I wouldn't say I live to eat but I've never been one to turn down a good meal! Since I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 24 years ago, I have been pretty conscious about food and a healthy diet. I haven't always been successful but my eating habits improved overall. As time went by, I learned more about healthy eating. Over the past maybe 10 years, I've focused more on organic foods and I even joined a CSA - community supported agriculture - to ensure we were eating fresh, local, organic vegetables.

Now as I learn more about cancer, I'm discovering there is an emerging body of research focused on the environment in which the seed is planted and grows, our bodies being the environment. Consensus is building around the impact on our bodies of the food we eat and the beverages we drink, as we live in this fast-paced culture where foods with heavy and unnatural preservatives abound. Researchers in Cambridge, MA, at the Angiogensis Foundation have launched the Eat to Defeat Cancer Campaign. They have found that certain foods actually starve the microscopic cancers that apparently develop in our bodies all the time. I'll be posting some of those foods here periodically, as well as information on foods currently in season.

The Campaign has enlisted the talent of 3 chefs to guide us to a path of more healthful eating. Enjoy the video below from Mario Batali who explains scorpacciata.




Locally grown foods available in New England in late May include artichokes, asparagus, lettuces, peas, radishes, rhubarb, and spinach. Yup, it's a pretty lean crop, but strawberries are right around the corner in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment