Saturday, April 9, 2011

A new kind of normal

I've had type 1 diabetes for 24 years.  I've had multiple myeloma for 19 days.

In 19 days, I've tried to absorb as much about multiple myeloma as my mind will hold and I've gone through my first round of treatment.  'Treatment.'  Chemotherapy.  It's a difficult word to swallow.  Much easier to say 'treatment' or a visit to the 'cocktail lounge.'  But in the end it's chemotherapy.  I still shudder in amazement.

In 19 days, I've gone from a person who takes few medications - just insulin, eye drops, and the occasional vitamins - to someone who has Dexamethasone, Zofran, and Velcade pumped into her 4 times in 2 weeks, takes the powerfully strong Revlimid for 14 days, has pills for gout, shingles, sleep, and 'digestive issues,' in addition to insulin, eye drops and the now very regular vitamins. And I've had 5 units of blood infused to boost my red blood cell counts.

Still, I count myself lucky.  It could have been a worse diagnoses.  Multiple myeloma may not at this time be curable, but it is very treatable and I live a short distance from Dana Farber and Massachusetts General Hospital, leaders in MM research.  I've got a great hematologist on my team, along with a fabulous diabetes team from Joslin  Diabetes Center.  I am optimistic!

Today my family and friends are joining me in accepting this new health challenge.  We've lived through the trials and tribulations of diabetes - the highs, the lows, the A1Cs, the injections, the pump - that's been our normal for 24 years.  Now we add chemo treatments for 2 week periods, understand there will be times of extreme tiredness and extreme activity, a flushed face and the occasional fever, and high blood sugars for 24 hours after a treatment.

There is also a house to maintain, a family to support, and work to be done.  There are parties to plan, mountains to hike, celebrations with family and friends.  Life goes on.  It's just a new kind of normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment