Saturday, April 16, 2011

Rated R: for strong and foul language

(I apologize for the language but some things need to be said)

Fuck you, cancer. That's right - I said fuck you, cancer. You almost had me this week....almost.

You did a superb job of reducing me to a heaping mess of constant tears. You excelled at beating up my body and delivering mighty rounds of pain. You collapsed my veins so that I had to have a foreign object - a PICC line - inserted in my body. You dosed me with x-rays, you filled me with countless drugs, you spit on my way of living. You robbed me of my vacation week. You brought me to the point of wanting to stop all treatment and just go home. Even now I feel you swelling my ankles and knees.

Yes, you almost had me......but you missed. You failed because you suck.

Yeah, I know you can and will fight harder and meaner in the future. It's ok. Bring it on. You picked the wrong person to screw with.

Because underneath your nasty, poisonous, destructive cells is a strong and healthy body that I have nurtured all these 51 years. And joining that is a strong and healthy spirit that I have cared for all these years. And wrapping my body and spirit is a strong and healthy faith. This is me. This is who I am. And I've got a lot of people to support me when I stumble along the way.

So come on. You want to wake me several times a night bathed in sweat? Bring it on. You want to rouse me at any hour just to reduce me to tears? Bring it on. You want to bring me to my knees and force me to question my beliefs and way of living? Bring it on. You want to be my dance partner for a turn or two? Ok, let's go, the music is playing and now I'm ready. I have too much to do in my life to waste it dancing with you, so let's get it on now.

By the way, your taste in music sucks. Fuck you, cancer.

8 comments:

  1. I believe in you auntie! if you need anything let me know i am only an hour away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We believe in you too, Susan! Keep up the fighting spirit, we're behind you 100%! Let us know if there's anything we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auntie you have the spirit of a tiger. Just keep roaring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the fight Susan!
    I won't forget what you first said and you shouldln't either "I am going to kick this thing in the ass" and "The only place I am going to throw a towel is on the beach or in the laundry"
    If I get any more humourus text messages I will send them your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're home now, mom. Now you can throw OUR towels in the laundry- we missed you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom,
    I just wanted to let you know that I am proud of you. I understood that you were sick when I was in Spain and when I came home for my birthday. I don't think it really hit me until today. Seeing you today made me understand what was really going on back in New Hampshire while I've been in Hartford. It made me understand the disease, the severity, and the pain of what you are going through. But it also made me understand the bravery and courage of my mother! After watching what you have to go through on a daily basis, nothing else can compare to that. Im really proud of you mom, and I hope you get better soon!!
    Love,
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl! Kick some major cancer ASS!


    Love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete