Thursday, April 14, 2011

A week off is not necessarily a vacation

I was so looking forward to this week! A whole week without those drugs being poured into my system. I thought this would be a week to detox, get a little exercise, do a little work, clean the garden a bit.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

'Vacation' week started Tuesday and I was readmitted to the hospital on Tuesday, brewing a nasty infection. And here I remain, with a very slight possibility of going home tomorrow. Saturday looks better. So much for a vacation.

It's been a challenging week: I had a reaction to an antibiotic; my veins are completely shot from IV attempts (7 attempts for 2 IVs); one of the IVs went bad before its time and saline burned through my wrist; and both forearms are quite bruised. I've been poked and prodded at all hours of the night and day, and have had 'assessments' done by students from 4 different colleges. And I haven't had a shower since Tuesday. Now tonight I see I have the young twenty-something nurse who, at last visit, called me 'chickie' and told me not to cry. It's going to get ugly around here if I hear 'chickie' even once tonight.

Chemotherapy was easier, much easier.

Silver lining: my infection is clearing and.....life WILL get better. It's just been a very, very bad start.

Mostly, I just want to go home and sit outside in the sun with my cats.

3 comments:

  1. Tomorrow is a new day! Stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Susan. No wonder you did not answer your cell phone when I called!

    Hope you lean on your ‘circle’ of supporters. Think of us as your ‘posse.’ Feel free to deputize me!

    Nancy S.

    ReplyDelete