Thursday, August 4, 2011

T minus 11 hours to mobilization

I began my day as I have been doing most days - 7am Mass, followed by the rosary at 7:30, then off to work.  Today was a special day, though.  Mom, sister Linda, and son Joseph joined me for Mass and rosary, and then members of the rosary group joined us as Father Joe and Deacon Mike offered me the anointing of the sick.  It was a moment I will cherish for a long time to come.  I felt full of grace and healing.  And it prepared me for tomorrow: stem cell mobilization.

Tomorrow will begin with Mass and the rosary, followed by the first step in mobilization - a high dose of Cytoxan.  This will be the first time that my chemotherapy will be longer than 40 minutes.  In fact, it will last about 8 hours.  Linda will be joining me, though I'm told I may sleep quite a bit due to the anti-nausea drugs.  Still it will be good to have her there and we have a few games and books packed just in case I'm not sleepy.

Following chemo will be a 10 day round of strong antibiotics starting Saturday; Sunday will be the start of 10 days of neupogen shots.  We're on our way to recovery!

One other thought before I close:  if one believes in such things as signs and omens, as I do, then one must believe I've had yet another positive sign this evening.  In my yard, undeterred by my windchime and enjoying the bird seed was this big creature:



In Alaskan culture, a friend told me the bear is the sign of strength and determination, as well as a strong heart and intuition.  And the bear in my yard was a big bear!

My anointing was a good start to my day and the visit from the bear was a good end to the day.  My faith and intuition tell me all will be well.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are prepared in every way to move forward...physically, emotinally and spiritually! The bear was certainly "icing on the cake"! EZ and I will be keeping you in our prayers as you move through the process of SCT. John 14:27 - "Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My healing thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

    May the force be with you-

    Joan

    ReplyDelete